Wednesday, September 29, 2010

WAS IT A DATE?


When you’re out (or in) with someone new, how do you know it’s a date? Does the other person feel the same?

I had dinner with a fellow some time ago and the conversation eventually turned to dating. Ol’ boy said he would “go out” with women thinking they were just “hanging out” but the woman thought it was a date. Instead of letting the thoughts hang in the air, I asked him what he thought of our “hanging out.” He stammered around a bit, so I interrupted, clarifying that he was a cool dude, but it wasn’t a date for me. He said he felt the same way but didn’t want to hurt my feelings in the event I believed otherwise. Isn’t communication great?

Now, on another instance, there was some miscommunication. A brother and I made dinner plans for 8 pm. He was supposed to meet me in my neighborhood, and I assumed we would go to dine. But, since my cooking skills are sharp (I’ll take anyone on in the kitchen—just holler!), I decided to surprise him with a home-cooked meal. Excitedly, I stood at my counter dicing onions and mincing garlic and peppering my sauce with spices. With one hour left before his arrival, I was getting ready to whip up a cake or dessert bread. Not only did I want to see him, I was really remiss in cooking so was greatly looked forward to a home-cooked meal. I figured I would have heard from him n hour or so before our 8 p.m. date to confirm my address. Nada. I knew at that point he wasn’t coming but I continued to cook. 8 p.m. Blinking indicator light, but no messages from the brother. Finally, at 9 pm, I send a message that simply read, “?” I didn’t want to talk to him because I KNEW he would have an excuse. Ten seconds later he replied with something along the lines of getting back in the city late (I knew he was scheduled to return to town early that day) and wanting a rain check. I didn’t reply.

I ate dinner alone, disliking the feeling, but surely enjoying the food. I had cooked enough for five servings—leftovers or me and for him to carry to home/work.

A week later, I called, saying that he just wanted to catch up with me and see how things were going. Instantly, I was infuriated. What I wanted was a date a week prior, but thought back to the conversation with ol’ about what constitutes a date and how do you know you’re on one, especially during the beginning stages. Mr. Stood Me Up knew that I was interested in him; we flirted all the time and I said as much. So meeting for dinner shouldn’t have been a question of, “Is this a date?” right? Right?

Two days lapsed and I didn't return his call. In part, I didn’t want to talk to him. I felt like he wasn’t going to even contact me if I didn’t send a message first and that’s just whack. On the flip side for fairness, I wonder if he thought it was a “hang out” session and thought it wasn’t a big deal because we’re “cool people.”

Did I get stood up? Someone holler with sage advice.

Lata Lovelies,
-Betsy “Baller” Ice

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It's just plain rude to not respond if you have made plans with someone. Date or just hanging out, it doesn't matter, your time is as valuable as anyone else's. Clearly he is no gentleman and needs to be schooled in the ways of etiquette. No sore feelings on your part but park him on the side of the road and leave him there.

Farah said...

It is definitely rude not to call when you are running late or have decided not to show for a date or hang out....I certainly hope that you have rolled that number out of your rolodex . Humphhh!!! (lol) But seriously, if more of us command respect (take a stand together) - men are just going to have to do better.

Lisa said...

Girl, drop that zero and still search for a hero!

Anonymous said...

you raise a good point here...being married, i have had ths come up a few times. while i am very open, respectful, and communicative about my marriage, i actually had a friend come out and told me that we were dating! i said no, she said yes. it got very uncomfortable, because i do make sure the person, be they male/female/old/young/gay/str8...is well catered to when i am with them....in a nutshell it comes down to communication, intent, motivations, respect. aaaaaand next time call me up...you know how i am in the kitchen...and i am walking distance.

Anonymous said...

you raise a good point here...being married, i have had ths come up a few times. while i am very open, respectful, and communicative about my marriage, i actually had a friend come out and told me that we were dating! i said no, she said yes. it got very uncomfortable, because i do make sure the person, be they male/female/old/young/gay/str8...is well catered to when i am with them....in a nutshell it comes down to communication, intent, motivations, respect. aaaaaand next time call me up...you know how i am in the kitchen...and i am walking distance.