Friday, May 15, 2009

FAKE FACEBOOK FRIENDS


I am annoyed when people ask if I have, or request my facebook address. Are you kidding me? You have my mobile number, home phone number, my momma's number, all eight of my emails PLUS you send texts and are one of my buddies on my bberry instant messenger as well as AIM. Do you REALLY need another mode of communication?

Quite frankly, Facebook, or rather FB as the hardcore users affectionately refer to it, is generally a waste of my time. My life is so full of things and people (some of which need to be cleared) that the last thing I need is to respond to a gazillion people on Facebook.

Finally though, I buckled to pressure and created a page. I saw MAD people from high school which was initially nostalgic but then I also spent a warm sunny Saturday twirling on FB with pseudo-socialization, updating myself on who’s married and who’s your baby daddy instead of going to Habana Outpost with the sidity folks and wonder breads.

One of my friends has become an online super sleuth, unearthing tidbits of information then turning it over into full storylines, akin to Days of Our Lives. I'm not mad at her; actually, I find it interesting especially when she shares the stories with me. I don't want to do the work but I sure don't mind knowing sometimes. And perhaps that in itself is the problem with FB and the other social networking sites – there’s so much information floating around – from your ‘status’ to who you know that one’s life becomes as public as a politician.

Anyway, I was "talking" to someone I went to high school with. We lost contact over the years but when I became one of her "friends" ol' girl started updating me about her life now and sent her digits. She even invited me to her birthday party! We used to rock hard in high school so instead of sending another delayed response, I called her. She never called me back. What kind of stupidness is that? And ol’ girl is STILL sending messages. What do we have to talk about because she certainly didn’t want to chat it up on the phone but wants to tell me her she’s married with children and where she lives?

Quite frankly, I don't want to be "friends" with her anymore. If it was a regular friend, whom I communicate with sans FB, I wouldn't care but here's this person I haven't spoken to in almost a decade and she's telling me everything under the sun via FB but ain't return a call? Nah, B.

Besides that, Kanye made a statement recently about not needing Twitter because everything it offers, he needs less. I cosign that ‘Ye!

Read the full albeit quick article here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-talk-kanye-twittermay14,0,2813941.column


Lata Lovelies,
-Betsy “Baller” Ice

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FB is the VIRTUAL HS reunion. You dont have to have a physical location to interact, and you can do all the posing you would have done at a real reunion. The whole yeah I made a million dollars yesterday and I married a supermodel and what do YOU do type of thing!

Furdermore(yeah I said it, or rather wrote it), you DON'T have to have all your information available to the world. You can make it private, but, some people choose to divulge their life stories.

But Betsy, can I be your Facebook friend? Please....LOL...

and I'm gone....

Anonymous said...

Never really got into the whole FaceBook, MySpace thing, but I do enjoy Twitter. Telling people what I'm am doing? Nah. Short funny thoughts is what I post every now and again. Forget all that friending, and requesting BS. Just fine without it. I'm kind of a loner anyway.-(Don't tell my friends on Twitter) :-)