Monday, July 21, 2008

THE SOUL MATE - DOES THIS PERSON EXIST

Today, I depart from the normal musings/comedy of life to pose this question – do you believe in soul mates? No, this is not about religion or being an evangelist so there’s no need to hang up the phone immediately, shake your fist with fury or stop reading. Just a passage from a memoir I came across and thought to share and please feel free to comment as well –esp the folks married or boo-ed up.

“People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that’s what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that’s holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life. A true soul mate is probably the most important person you’ll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. Too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then they leave. And thank God for it. Your problem is, you just can’t let this one go. It’s over Groceries. David’s purpose was to shake you up, drive you out of that marriage that you needed to leave, tear apart your ego a little bit, show you your obstacles and addictions, break your heart open so new light could get in, make you so desperate and out of control that you had to transform your life, then introduce you to your spiritual master and beat it.”

The end was an analogy about getting stuck in the same wanting place even when the relationship is over, thus making your life miserable. Hope anyone that has felt that way is happy today. I know I am. ☺

The recap: Ditched NYC for most of the weekend. Shout out to E for participating in an adventure….

On tap this week: Nada. Someone send me some event info yo!!! Is there an event drought??

Lata lovelies,
-Betsy Ice

3 comments:

Pope Phoenix said...

I've lived my life thinking I walked away from my soulmate many years ago. It took me years to separate my feelings from reality but in the end I'm better for it. The concept of a soul mate always meant meeting that one person who you're supposed to be with and your life with this person should be bliss. But if that's the case...why do they end up so tragically? Why are they so hard to find?

I've never heard this version of or definition of a soul mate before its an interesting take on it. Its more believable. I can't accept the idea that there's one person for everyone on the planet. So many people don't meet their soul mate and live happy and fruitful lives. I can't diminish their achievements by admitting that they settled for less.

Microphone Master, Super Rhyme Maker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Microphone Master, Super Rhyme Maker said...

i met my soulmate. she died 10 yrs ago. so i went out and bought a new soul and sold the old one...