Friday, August 15, 2008

ADDICTED TO TECHNOLOGY

For those who don’t know, I am married, though I neglect to wear a wedding band. Instead, I have something better called a blackberry. Sleeps in the same bed, goes on vibrate and can call when running late (unlike some men).

The story: I met this really attractive man (he was Haitian…LOL). I’m terrible at returning phone calls but this dude was fairly persistent. Instead of calling him, I would send long text messages. After a few weeks we drifted off and in retrospect, I realize it was a bit difficult communicating with me via text only. I liked him but couldn’t find the time to talk but sending messages was a way to let him know I was thinking about him.

Now, clearly this can be the demise of a relationship. Text, IM and email should be a suppliment to in-person and phone conversations; not the primary method of communications. And yet, these days I still text, email, IM – because I can “chat” with 2 people via text, respond to multiple emails and “chat” with another 5 people via IM all having my undivided attention.

I have friends that steadily communicate with me via IM for LONG “conversations”. I realized this was a problem when I found myself 1 ½ hours later still IM-ing a friend (actually, it’s 2 of them) when we could have accomplished the same amount of conversation by phone in a third of the time. So in comes epiphany – not only am I wasting time, I’m losing real communication. LOL is not a good substitute for a person’s hearty laugh. The sad face emo-con doesn’t express the pout in my voice.

In an attempt to communicate better and challenge myself in a major way, I will call folks, even for a quick question. Yes siree, Betsy will not send any text messages or IMs this weekend…all weekend long. Already, I can’t wait for 12:01 am Monday. Now, I’ll read messages but no typed response so if you need me, best call. Really, holler!

Update: It's been 2.5 hours and the IMs are coming in. It is taking Herculean like strength not to respond. My friends, you are taunting me terribly.

The recap: Nada

On Tap: Party with the s’ak passé posse tonight; Beres Hammond Monday night at Wingate Park. Yes, I’m pressing this one because it will be dope (and it’s the last concert in the series).

Lata Lovelies,
-Betsy Ice

No comments: