Wednesday, August 27, 2008

AFFECTIONATE TERM



Walking home in my newly gentrified area (remember back in the day the term was “mixed”?), a brother hollered at a white woman saying, “Whaddup Snow Bunny?! I can give you love too.” I was quite amused by his comment though I knew he could have been more tactful in his hollering. But sometimes, that’s how the “around the way” guys do things.

My neighborhood, which used to be inhabited primary by little old black women who lived in their house with their grand and great-grandchildren, changed. The faces moving in are more like Wonder Bread - and not the whole wheat kind either.

As Snow Bunny continued her walk home she commented to her friends, “Why would I listen to anyone who calls me by the color of my skin?” I don’t know how white guys holler at white chicks – do they even call it hollering? – but that is how brothers get down sometimes. This brother’s let-me-get-your-attention tactics wasn’t completely about her skin color (okay, the snow part), but when was bunny exclusive to white women? If this man was speaking to a sister, using some similar awkwardly, amusing but mildly insensitive comment, it probably would have sounded like, “Hey Thickness” or “My African princess/queen, I could be your king.” For women walking down Church, Nostrand, Flatbush or Utica Avenues, the line would sound more like, “Come yah Sweetness,” or “Dahlin (followed by a wink)'” or a rendition of Beenie Man's "Girls Dem Sugar."

The fact is, some men will try to approach a woman no matter what skin color she is. Snow Bunny was in this man's line of vision and he had nothing to lose by trying to verbally get her attention. Racial slurs of any kind are unacceptable but Snow Bunny...there's something comical about it. I wonder how Snow Bunny would have reacted to, “Girl, you are a fine piece of chocolate. White chocolate.” ☺

Lata Lovelies,
-Betsy Ice

The recap : cookout in LI (just finished eating the leftovers), another screening of Sex in the City (that movie was more funny the second time around).

On tap: amusement park with a crop of fine men in sports. Oh yeah! My sport is looking…I’m inspired to pull out my “Carrie” Single in the City… at a park ☺ Kidding…

No comments: