Thursday, February 26, 2009

BYE BYE TO SOME FRIENDSHIPS


For a while now, I’ve been assessing my current friendships. My inner circle folks aren’t going anywhere but it’s everyone else that I posed this internal question – what value do you/they add to my life?

There’s no monetary value on friendships but you can’t be a financial drain either so I refuse to spot you every single time we go out. More than that though, spending time bickering or ‘debating’ too many conversations can become a drain.

The situation: I thought I had a good relationship with a friend until he started acting crazy, literally. He always had something slick to say about the next man and I’m like, “Dude, really?” I kept telling him the line of conversation was not cool and his cavalier ways were offensive. He apologized but this last time, no apology was needed. I simply explained that I grew weary of this incessant battle of what had become a tumultuous friendship. We no longer had anything to talk about. I deleted his info.

After that, I felt so good that I deleted several more people. There are 386 names of people in my blackberry and some I have no idea who they are. There are others whom I just don’t talk to anymore so guess what? They were deleted. I realized that I was holding on to people, creating pseudo-relationships when the truth of the matter is some people just don’t matter to me any more, or perhaps, never did. For instance, the dude I met at a club…wanted to dance until my legs fell off and when I tried to escape, he wanted to talk my ear off. Brother would not even leave my side until I added his mobile and email to my contact list. He even wanted me to promise to contact him. LOL. I digress.

So, folks if you send a text or call and I say, “Who is this?” it’s because you’re out. You were a season, a reason but not a lifetime.

Lata Lovelies,
-Betsy Baller Ice

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And here I thought I was the only one that got a delete praise in every now and then. Nevertheless, I think it is of the utmost importance to take inventory of the people in your life and be able to state what their purpose if for that season, for what reason and if it should be for a lifetime. I wrote this list a while ago and I think it's helpful in this process: http://theloudprotestant.wordpress.com/2008/08/18/the-questions-2/